January 29, 2007

Casting Directors are Stoopider than Boys

I love me some "24." One of the best shows on television, without question.

But what special brand of crack does their casting director smoke, and where can I get some?

James Cromwell and Paul McCrane.

Two actors I enjoy, particularly Cromwell, whose turn as the farmer in Babe pretty much assured him a place in my heart for life (I know he must be honored).

And McCrane's Dr. Romano on "ER" was one of the last good things about that show before it officially entered "Law&Order" territory (somewhere around the 243rd season).

But they are currently portraying the father and brother of one Jack Bauer, and it's so distracting in its absurdity that it's really going to bother me.

Point one: I appreciate that they found an actor with the same height issues as poor Keifer (Keifer's actually taller than McCrane, who must be about 4'11") to play his brother, but McCrane's balding, shiny pate and weasely composition leads me to question how he could ever in a million years be related to the rugged, swaggering, torturing, action hero Jack. Let alone be his brother.

Point two: Cromwell? Is 6'7". He's about three heads taller than each of his alleged "sons" on the show. Are we going to meet Mrs. Bauer, or is she busy helping Santa gear up for Christmas?

I mean, come on. Was Donald Sutherland really not available? And maybe bring in Emilio Estevez to play the evil brother. Would have been so hard?

No comments: