November 15, 2006

If Good Looks Were An Hour, You Know You Could've Been a Minute...

You know what I don't get?

TV is what I don't get. I freaking LOVE television. I spend way too much time watching it. A fact which I occasionally feel guilty about, just not tonight becuase before I came home to watch tv I did 90 minutes of cardio at the gym. That's right, bitches, 30 minutes on the bike, 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill.

(This is also my justification for taking the elevator both up AND down at work, even though my office is only on the third floor. Fuck that, I say, I sweat my ass off at the gym to make my thighs burn, I don't need to haul it up three flights of stairs in four-inch heels just to prove that I am not a lazy ass. A point I always feel the need to proclaim whenever I walk into the building with a peppy co-worker that goes for the stairs. "Oh, I'm soooo on the elevator today, these shoes are killing me, haha!" Why do I feel the need to make the excuse? It's probably the Fat Girl Guilt. Fat Girl Guilt has got to be worse than Catholic guilt. Catholic guilt won't make you refrain from ordering a cookie with your sandwich even though you really want one and totally have the points for it just becuase you're worried the cute guy behind the counter will be all "You reeeeally need that cookie, fatty? Hmmm?" I need help, clearly.)

Anyway.

I never understand why the character I would generally deem the least attractive on any given program always has to be the one that all the guys fall madly in love with a drool over.

Exhibit A: Meredith Grey. Please don't misunderstand, she's pretty, I guess. I mean, she's not ugly, and she's rail-thin and a lot of guys dig that. But every guy that walks into that hospital practically slips in the puddle of his own drool upon seeing her, when Izzie is standing right there, all blonde and bodacious and with the unbelievable ta-ta's, as opposed to Mer's little raisins. Not to mention that girlfriend waved bye-bye to thirty practially a decade ago. Not that older women can't be hot. But Izzie is like 26 or 27 tops. Who is the average male gonna make the beeline for?

I know, I know, it's not called "Izzie's Anatomy." But maybe if your main character is supposed to be such a goddamned man-magnet, you cast the hotter actress in that role. Just saying.

Other examples: Kelly Taylor on 90210. Again, pretty girl, if you like that "I look like I just sucked on a lemon and goddamn am I sanctimonious" look. Brenda and of course Valerie were 501531 times hotter than Kelly, and yet every guy on that show absolutely obsessed about her. I just don't get it.

Joey Potter on "Dawson's Creek." Don't even get me started. She was adorable during the seasons when NO ONE was in love with her, then they went to college and she stopped using moisturizer and dunked the bottom half of her hair in some sort of corrosive agent that frizzed it out and turned it orange, and suddenly Kate Hudson's smoking hot older brother is all "Oh Joey, I loooove you" along with every other guy that wandered into frame.

Made. No. Sense.

Marissa Cooper, not as hot as Summer, looks old and haggy even though she is like 20 in real life. At least now she's dead.

That's all I can think of for now, at least I've covered the ones that annoy me the most. I'm sure there are dozens of other examples.

Ugh, now I have to try and go to bed even though I'm staying home alone. I absolutely hate staying home alone. This is like the house from Halloween, I swear to god.

1 comment:

ENBB said...

One night when I was about 14, I was walking down the street in fire island eating an ice cream cone (chocolate dipped waffle cone, of course, because all other cones are for pussies) when some random man said to me as we crossed paths, "I don't think you need that, sweetie." Yeah. No wonder I used to be so paranoid about what I was eating that I never went up to a buffet more than once and, while in college, I was convinced that everyone was staring at my tray as I walked through the cafeteria. Also, I completely agree with you regarding Meredith. She's so blah. Her features look like they're melting. I really don't get it. Izzy, on the other hand, is totally hot! BTW - who the hell is Valerie from 90210? I can't remember her!