March 20, 2007

Move It or Lose It, HAPPY People

Here's the thing.

Like most single women my age (27), I would someday like to settle down and have kids and get married and stuff.

Preferably the latter before the former, come to think of it, my dad's heart isn't in the greatest shape.

But sometimes I wonder if it's just societal pressure, in all honesty. I tend to consider having a boyfriend really just a sexual convenience (although granted, it's also nice to have someone and all that...as long as they have their own place to live and don't cut their toenails in your bed) (and obviously, it was different with some guys, so don't go freaking out, Brian).

I don't ever want to have another roommate, and isn't a husband rather roommatesque? It's someone who is all up in your shit and making messes and taking gross dumps in your bathroom. I already have cats for that.

As much as I bitch about being single, I honestly do enjoy taking care of myself, and, wow, really don't have any room in my closet for anyone else's clothes. I'm already out of shoe room, my most recently purchased shoes are now occupying boxes on the floor outside the closet.

Then there's the child factor.

I kind of....um...I kind of despise them. I'm not mean to them or anything, and I don't envision being one of those cranky old spinster bitches that keeps their toys if they land on my freaking yard, but they make just about any situation 148% more annoying.

Airplanes. Waiting rooms. Restaurants. Weddings. Shopping.

I honestly see few reasons why a kid should ever be present in a grocery store with their parents.

If you're a single mom or dad, okay. If your spouse is out of town, or working late, okay.

But I was accosted by those giant-ass "race car shopping cart" bullshit things in like four different aisles at the grocery store tonight, and noted that several of them were manned by both freaking parents.

Someone explain to me why this is necessary. If I ever do get married and punch out a few of these little beasts myself, Husband (Victim) will sit home with the kids while I do the shopping, or vice versa.

Becuase shrieking chidren in a race car shopping cart blocking all the singletons from their single serving Easy Mac?

Annoying.

(And also, WTF is up with couples shopping together anyway? Honestly. I don't recall ever having shopped as a couple, unless we were like, on our way home and realized there was no toilet paper or ice cream or some other essential. Stop depressing all the single people in the damn grocery store.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I dumped my live-in boyfriend six weeks ago and I was shocked by how much happier I was to have the apartment all to myself. He's a great guy, don't get me wrong, but I think I just prefer taking care of myself and not having to worry about anyone else's shit.

Come to Boston, I'll buy you a drink that doesn't include the word "panty".
-Carly

FuManchShoes said...

Hey, anytime. I'm always up for boozing!

ENBB said...

We always shop together, it's fun! That said, I'm with you 100% on the kids in supermarkets thing. 100%, my friend.