July 7, 2007

Am I Too Young for Nostalgia?

There is literally nothing on TV this summer.

But SoapNet is in the middle of first season re-runs of 90210. It's like sixth grade all over again!

Except...wow. First off, in the sixth grade, I really don't recall wearing some of the daisy-covered crap currently burning my retinas (though I guess I can admit to an actual plaid blazer with shoulder pads that I lusted after in the Gap...luckily my mother refused to shell out the fifty bucks; she recognized the hideousness thank the lord).

But what's bothering me the most isn't the clothes (all the girls wear mom jeans that give them huglely massive gunts--they can't weigh more than 120 or 125 each (which yeah, was actually pretty fat compared to today's 98-pound weaklings), but those damn things make them look freaking porky! No wonder boot-cut low-rises came in, sheesh), or the ridiculous storylines (Brenda meeting beatnik types at a coffee house and doing "stand-up comedy" in which she complains that housesitting is hard?), or even Steve Sanders' fro-mullet.

What's bothering me is that the object of my undying preteen lust, one Dylan McKay...well. Hm. I actually had a poster of this man that I kissed goodnight on a nightly basis in my room. And while real-life Luke Perry was only about 25 when the show started, younger than I am now...well the receding hairline (sideburns don't hide that, chief) and massive forehead wrinkles?

Why was everyone all over Steve Sanders and Andrea Zuckerman for being the token oldies?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Had to move, again.. New spot is Seaduction.wordpress.com
CaptRon

Anonymous said...

haha. i just caught one of these reruns on soapnet (it comes one before my new obsession One Tree Hill)and almost peed my pants seeing Steve Sanders in tight blue shorty short swim trunks. I can't believe people used to think that was sexy! I was a David (Brian Austin Green) fan, myself.

Gaby Hess said...

That was a fabulous show. FABULOUS!!

Anonymous said...

The term you are searching for Eye-Un Ziering's hair is: frullet. Awesome.
Kevin